The Chêne chapelle (“chapel oak”) is an oak tree located in Allouville-Bellefosse in Seine-Maritime, France.
The oak tree is between 800 and 1,200 years old. It is 15m high and its base has a circumference of 16m. Its hollow trunk hosts two chapels, which were built there in 1669: Notre Dame de la Paix (“Our Lady of Peace”) and the Chambre de l’Ermite (“Hermit’s room”). A spiral staircase around the trunk provides access to the chapels.
The Oak Chapel still stands and can be seen in modern photographs here.
A German observation post is pictured on the Yser Front in Belgium, in this 1917 handout picture. This picture is part of a previously unpublished set of World War One (WWI) images from a private collection. The pictures offer an unusual view of varied and contrasting aspects of the conflict, from high tech artillery to mobile pigeon lofts, and from officers partying in their headquarters to the grim reality of life and death in the trenches. The year 2014 marks the centenary of the start of the war. (Photo by Reuters/Archive of Modern Conflict London)